They’re not even interested in science fiction, let alone science, anymore:
The members of SFWA’s newly-formed Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee are:
- Alaya Dawn Johnson – traditional novelist
- Alex Acks – traditional novelist
- Crystal Watanabe – freelance editor
- James Beamon – SFWA director-at-large, short fiction writer
- Jane Pinckard – writer, game designer, researcher, teacher
- Kyle Aisteach – short fiction writer
- Michi Trota – SFWA Editor-in-Chief, critical and creative nonfiction writer
- Tao Roung Wong – indie novelist
- Whitney “Strix” Beltrán – game writer
The committee is developing procedures, and setting its action and scope, and will update the membership soon.
SFWA is an excellent example of how convergence renders an organization entirely incapable of performing its core purpose. The committee would have been more accurately named if they’d called it Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity.